Monday, April 10, 2017

The state of spring

My neighbour Audrey, a feisty gardening fiend who doesn't let much get her down, confessed on Sunday that even she is getting depressed by the state of our spring. Not only did we have the third rainiest March since record-keeping began in 1951, we set a record for the least amount of sunshine  -- 70.5 hours versus an average of 138.4.

I had hoped for a magical change with the turn of the month, but so far April has given us plenty of  rain plus a huge wind and rainstorm that forced ferry cancellations, caused mudslides and knocked trees over. No wonder this spring's blossoms are three to four weeks late -- even they don't want to face this weather!

From time to time, the sun does shine, though, giving me a little window for photographs. Here are some recent ones showing what's happening out there:

Cherry blossoms turn a Dunbar  street pink in a rare burst of sunshine on Sunday. 

Camellias, which often bloom extremely early and turn brown, seem to be later -- and better -- this year. 

My two white magnolia trees are getting ready to bloom in the front garden.

The forsythia is later than usual, but also seems to be unusually healthy. Perhaps a late cold spring suits some plants.

I like the look of this trio of hyacinths under a tree in my back yard.

After a winter crushed under pounds of snow, the pansies have recovered and are blooming away in my garden planters. 

Last year's primroses look a bit ragged, but are providing a bit of colour in the front garden, along with the blue and white hyacinths.

My front-garden hellebore is always beautiful and long-lasting.

I thought heathers liked a dry climate, but I have never seen such happy-looking plants as I have this year. This stunning display will be gone in the near future; the property sports the dreaded white survey stakes that indicate it is being sold.

Another exuberant display of heather, this one on top of a wall. 

A row of daffodils, interspersed with other plantings, enhances this garden's wooden fence. This property is always beautifully cared for, with carefully arranged displays of plants from spring until fall. Notice the daffodils in the window boxes, echoing the  row by the fence.

An artistic eye lives here, too. I liked the red chair and the terra cotta pots of daffodils on the ledge.

A daphne in bloom under this still-bare tree scents the neighbourhood. I noticed it because I have just planted three new daphnes to bring scent to my garden. It will be awhile before they're this big.


I don't know the name of this flowering shrub, but am intrigued by the upside-down-umbrella-blossoms.

Here's what these fragrant beauties look like up close.


I took this photo a few days ago just after a heavy rainfall. It's the park mom and I used to walk in when she was at Blenheim Lodge,  near me. We only had one spring of walking under the avenue of cherry trees together. 

I liked the look of these big pink magnolia blossoms looming over a hedge. 


And finally: Spring must really be here if it's time to start digging dandelions out of my back lawn.

1 comment:

  1. I had almost forgotten about dandelions...this photo made me laugh this morning! Heather is such an amazing plant as it seems to do well in all conditions...rather like cacti. Spring does seem to have finally arrived.

    ReplyDelete