Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Couches

I've been reading lately about the Romans' use of couches. They didn't have much by way of beds, apparently -- mostly uncomfortable constructions in pitch-dark rooms -- so didn't linger abed, but, boy, they knew their couches! Cushioned and covered and set around a low table, these low-to-the floor furnishings were the setting for hours-long feasting. Romans reclined, oh heaven, to eat their sociable evening meals!

Anyone who knows me understands why I would find this fascinating -- and enviable. I like reclining, and I like couches; the high point of every day is morning coffee on the couch, preferably with a cat on my lap. When I study, I don't sit at a desk. I wrap myself in blankets on the couch, and take notes as best I can. Here are some couch photos from Saltspring, courtesy of John:

Carol contemplating on couch, with morning coffee. 

The view from the windows I'm facing. When the neighbour cut down three huge old trees, we got a water view.

Straight ahead from my perch, a view of the Cofton pulp mill across the way. At first, we wanted to avoid buying anywhere near the pulp mill, but it rarely smells, and I find it an interesting addition to the view. Our neighbour Kathy once made a beautiful painting of its steam clouds rising in the morning sun.

A little further over, toward the road, this is the view.

By nightfall, I have moved to the other end of the couch to do my reading. I'm still wrapped in blankets, though.

And the whole scene: the fire blazes, I have a book, I'm on my couch. Bliss!

1 comment:

  1. You do look cosy! How nice someone cut down some trees and gave you more view rather than building an addition and blocking your view:)

    ReplyDelete