Saturday, January 20, 2018

Squirrelympics

The sweet spot. A well-filled backyard bird feeder is as good as an Olympic podium for a squirrel.
Speed, flexibility, cunning and audacity -- if that's what you need to get into next month's Winter Olympics in Sourth Korea, I'm thinking my backyard squirrels should take a run at it. Ever since I switched to a type of birdseed without squirrel-deterring hot pepper sauce, I've been battling with them to leave a little food over for the birds. Yelling "bad squirrel" out the back door has no effect. They look more interested if I walk down the steps, but  I have to get within a few feet, banging a plastic container for noise effects, before they take me seriously. Then they somersault to the ground or zip up the string holding the bird feeder and politely run a few feet. By the time I shut the door behind me, they're back on the feeder. I think they have won this contest.

Here's a look at today's squirrely action, photographed by John.

A strong start: Off the branch, target in sight.

The string attached to the bird feeder makes it easy if you're a squirrel.

What form! A perfect straight line.

An excellent two-point landing.

Now, just to disentangle the back  toes from the string. . .

. . . take a look around. . .

. . . decide whether to attack from this angle. . .

. . . or this. . .

. . .and down we go. Food in sight. 

No position is too difficult when the prize is so glorious.

Repositioning.

And over again for the food on the other side.

Oops. Did that big person open the back door?

Agh. She's spoiling a perfect performance. Must abort.

But I will so be back!

1 comment:

  1. Who needs to watch the Olympics! Great photos. You kinda gotta love them.

    ReplyDelete